Thursday, November 29, 2007

Google Maps


Google have released a new version of their excellent Google Maps software for Mobile Phones.
Version 2.0 is still in beta, but it does now include a new My Location feature.
If you have a device that does not have GPS, My Location tries to work out your position from the mobile phone masts near you. My Location then makes a best guess as to where you are.
A report from Arne over at http://www.theunwired.net suggests that it's quite good, and can guess your position to within 200 meters or so, which is not bad!

Google Maps

Update: 30/11/2007
I've installed this on my O2 XDA IIi and the My Location feature does not work :-(
When I click on Help, About. At the bottom of the page is says
myl: N/A
Which means that my phone is not reporting and cell information.
More details here.

No comments: