Saturday, December 15, 2007

Pocket PC UPNP client - Rudeo Control


I have been running a UPNP client on my home PC to serve my MP3 files to my Netgear MP101 for quite a while now. I use Twonky Media server and it all works well.

Recently I've been looking for ways to try and access the MP3's from Twonky but on my Laptop or Pocket PC. It's proving difficult to find a client that works for the Laptop, but I've just discovered Rudeo Play & Control form the Pocket PC.
Rudeo Control
There seems to be several different parts to the program
- Pocket PC Rudeo Play & Control (UPNP, WMP, IR) $19.19
- Pocket PC Rudeo Control for Windows Media Player $19.95
- Rudeo MCP Control for XP Media Center $29.95

I'm only interested in the first one to access my UPNP server.

Installation
Installing on my O2 XDA IIi was easy as I already had the .Net CF 2.0 framework installed.
The rest was just a standard install.
I'm running the 14 day trial version just now

Running
To get it to work all I needed to to was fire up the XDA. Conntect to my Wireless network and start Rudeo. Click on UPnp Servers menu item and click Rescan Network. It found Twonky easily and I was away!

Thinks I like:
- Connects to Twonky
- I can browse my MP3's in the same way as on the MP 101 (Album, Artist, Genres, Folders, etc)
- It downloads the MP3's to my Memory Card, so I can play them offline later.

Things that could be better:
- I have to use the stylus as some of the icons are so small
- No album art
- Navigation of files on device is a bit basic.

Conclusion:
This is great. FAB that I can access my MP3 files from my Twonky server. It's great that they are downloaded to my memory card so I can play them offline later.
Think I'll give it a few days then buy it!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello! From what I can see, Rudeo is one of the only UPnP controllers on the market (I'm currently researching Nero Mobile, which looks interesting). But if you're looking for just a player, also try "Electric Pocket LobsterTunes" (www.lobstertunes.com), this is very stable for audio from Twonky (what I've proved it on so far...).

Key question being - does anyone know of any other controllers for PPC/WM5-6??

:-]

Ndeezer said...

I saw you were one time looking to buy an N82/N95 from Nokia. These devices already have this type of functionality. I use it to listen to my Windows Media Player Upnp Server on my phone, but also to stream the music to my Grundig Ovation 2i. It works perfectly.